I have been thinking about the controversy about the NY Jets and the female reporter. You may have heard about it. Evidently there are two sides to it. Basically, the two sides are “she should have known what she was getting into,” or “she has a right to do her job.”
Here’s the deal, for you men. A week or so ago, the Citibank memo for young women entering the workforce hit the internets. I have not seen one for men, yet. Here it is.
1. Never ever comment on a female’s body. No Matter What. I don’t care if she is wearing hot pants and a halter top. It DOES not matter. That might be her only clean outfit. It is not a signal of ANY TYPE. Do not make a comment, however well intentioned.
2. Do not leer. You know what I mean. You think you are being clever and all secretive with your eyes. You are NOT.
3. Here is the ONE WORD to remember. Respect. R. E. S. P. E. C. T.
4. Just cuz the popular culture is one way, does NOT give you any special liberties. You can laugh all you want at Charlie Sheen in his TV Show, but adapting his behavior at your work, is boorish and at worst, illegal. Know the difference. What would Mom think, or Grandma, should be top of mind, not some David Spader character.
5. ”She should know better than to wear clothes like that around men,” is a stupid thing to say or think. I cannot even think of a way to sugarcoat it. Are you a caveman? Good. Grief.
6. Never ever talk about your dating or married life at work. Others do not really care. And, it can turn south in a hurry.
7. Corollary: Never asked for dating or married advice. Watch Dr. Phil.
8. When with other men, walk away when the topic turns to youknowwhat. The walls have ears. Real men don’t talk that way.
9. Don’t be all unnatural around women, either. Just remember point 3. Respect.
10. You know how to act. Do that.