Comic from Weimarart.
Scott Adams’ recent post National Discard Day reminded me to delete all the emailed questions I get from jobseekers and HR people. Before I did so, I thought I would pound out a few answers to a few of the most common questions. Sorry the answers are so short. I am an expert on Short.
1. Why is it so hard to get a job? So many emailers asked me this question this year, I wrote a logical explanation here.
2. Why won’t they hire me? This is really a request for an affirmation, as in you want me to say “You are OK, It’s them, not you.” Regrettably, this is not true. If you had something they wanted, they’d hire you.
3. What do you think about the extension of un-employment benefits? I don’t like them, except for my family members and friends.
4. My wife won’t listen to me, but will take YOUR advice, why is that? Cosi fan tutti. (see PEpps)
5. Do you twitter? Only after I eat Mexican food.
6. You promote LinkUp in your blog, why? Because chances are that one of you readers will do something to help us get the word out. So far, you suck at it. No ‘fense.
7. What advice do you have for a new blogger? Don’t expect anything until you have written 1500 posts, so sayth Seth Godin. This is my 1,377th.
8. Will you review my business plan? Sure. What’s in it for me? And no, I won’t sign a confidentiality agreement.
9. Who is CAL? You mean Curmudgeon at Large? That’s Toby.
10. Will you mention me in your blog for money? Yes.
11. Will you review my book? I don’t have time to edit my own stuff, much less read yours. I am a baby boomer, I already know pretty much what I need to know.
12. Who makes YOU laugh? Such a good question–here’s my-top-of-mind answer: Maddox, Scott Adams, MagnificentBastard, Laurie Ruettimann, ThisIsn’tHappiness, ShitMyDadSays (the twitter one), Paul Epps, WhyRUStalkingme..I better stop because I am going to leave someone out. I laugh alot.
13. What was your worst idea? Today? Well, I never thought that expensive coffee shops would work out. And I was convinced that if we sent Seth Godin an IPAD with the LinkUp app installed, he would see it and just mention it somewhere.
14. Do you personally have another idea for a start-up? Yes.
15. Do you think I should start a company? Here is the most detailed answer I can give you.
16. Any simple words of advice? “Everyone over 30 has A-D-D,” me.
That is all I have time for today.